Description: The WAVE helps to identify the activities and trends that influence or will influence a community or organization in the past, present, and future.
- Identify the issue or topic under discussion. (i.e. aging population, community revitalization, active citizens, drug addictions among seniors, etc.)
- Have participants identify the major factors and trends that affected the topic in:
- The past (fading)
- The present (current)
- The near future (5 to 10 years) i.e. emerging
- The distant future (10 to 20 years and beyond) i.e. on the horizon
- Write on cards or post-it notes and post under the matching column.
- Cluster the notes into common themes, and write these themes onto a different coloured card or note and place on the chart.
- Hold a conversation about the themes - see following questions.
- What words, phrases, or images stand out for you when you view this wave of ideas?
- What do you really agree with? What do you see that really fits for you?
- Where are you unclear about ideas?
- What concerns you?
- What linkages do you see here? What did you learn? Why is it important to identify these trends?